This tailor-made course provides a brief description, including fundamentals, of the different renewable energy technologies, wind, solar, bioenergy, hydro, geothermal energy, tidal and wave, and hydrogen. In addition, it provides a general overview of the technologies, applications and costs of generation. Some of these technologies are at the prototype stage in developing countries, but there is momentum to advance and adopt them. While these technologies are not fully proven yet, promising research and development are being conducted. In addition, energy storage is gaining traction worldwide and could fundamentally change electricity market dynamics. This course, therefore, explores the dynamics of these resources, the technical economics and policy implications for investors, regulators and governments. To crown the training, a review of existing renewable energy policies, the Action plan for COP26, and risk management of renewable investment will be reviewed.
The training package is composed of the following modules:
1) UNDERSTANDING RENEWABLE ENERGY TECHNOLOGIES AND MODELS OF INVESTMENT
- Understanding operation of the Renewable energy technologies(biomass, wind, Solar, Hydropower, Geothermal, Marine, Hydrogen) and generation costs.
- Integration of Renewable energy into the power systems
2) UNDERSTANDING RENEWABLE ENERGY POLICIES AND MARKETS
- The evolution of renewable energy in Africa; is there convergence?
- Understanding the available renewable energy investment support policies and mechanisms suitable for Africa( FiT, FiP, Green certificates, Obligation Auctions, Net metering, Subsidies, Fiscal incentives etc.)
- Financing RES
- Overcoming Barriers to Renewable energy investment(technical and non-technical); how can we promote the energy transition?
- The Action plan for Africa under COP26
3) THE ECONOMICS OF ENERGY STORAGE
- Role of Energy Storage in Electricity Supply Chain; components, types
- The general economics of energy storage
- Impact of energy storage on electricity tariff and pricing energy storage services
4) MANAGING RENEWABLE ENERGY PROJECTS
- Investment analysis and evaluation of renewable energy projects
- Infrastructure and financial markets for Capital Renewable infrastructure
- Risk management in Renewable energy projects
The training course is designed explicitly for National Regulatory Institutions (NRI’s), academia, utilities, power pools, regional regulators, investment Banks, investors looking for an introduction, and a comprehensive overview of Green Economy and transition.